The LSAT is converting to the new digital tablet-based format. Updated February 8th.
Digital LSAT Schedule
- January 2019, March 2019, June 2019 (last pencil-and-paper based examples)
- July 2019 (half will be assigned paper and pencil). The LSAC will randomly assign students as either pencil or tablet. Students can choose to cancel scores (after seeing their score!).
- Starting in July, college students will be able to take the law school entry exam on Microsoft Surface Go tablets.
- September 2019 is 100% digital.
The Good News
- Scores will be available in a matter of days, rather than weeks.
- Accessibility and user features will be standard, such as the ability to increase type size, control brightness, highlight and underline text.
- The 35-minute writing portion of the exam will be separated from the rest of the exam, allowing test takers to complete it on their own computers at their convenience.
- Custom security technology will protect the integrity of the exam.
The Bad News
- The Digital LSAT will be on a tablet; you’ll have to get used to NOT working up the test book with your notes and charts. You’ll have to feverishly work on scrap paper (like the GMAT). This is very awkward, particularly for the Logic Games. Practice on a computer and get used to copying over carefully on to scrap paper!
- There may be limited official LSATs in the digital format
- Variables and unknows with new format
- We suggest you take the LSAT before the new Digital LSAT! Consider registering in advance.
Digital LSAT Features
- Highlight text and notate items
- Eliminate choices easily
- Set difficulty and contrast
Demo a digital LSAT
Site-sponsor LSAT Lab offers a free demo of the LSAT.
LSAT Lab is an edutech based out of San Diego. It’s our #1 recommended course. They offer the best guarantee: +10 LSAT points.
Free “Starter” Course
- Free Official LSAT in the new Digital LSAT format.
- 25+ hours of LSAT instructional videos
- Study plan generator
- Free class demo: Join one of three weekly classes focusing on a single LSAT question topic (Sunday 8pm ET, Tuesday 9pm, Thursday 9pm). Instructor Matt Sherman scored a 176 and has spent 17 years teaching the LSAT and developing curricula for elite LSAT prep companies.
- Three online classes a week
- 2000 LSAT question database and up to 37 LSATs
- Diagnostics: identify strengths / weaknesses and optimal prep strategies
- Newer Design & Content: Most online LSAT courses are 5-to-15 years old.
- Affordable: Online LSAT courses are typically $199 month. LSAT Lab starts at $99/month.